Our Sites: amy's blog | fisher academy | the tuttle tribe's photos | Support

Bert Elliot

Dear friends and family,

Bert Elliot's life on earth is coming to an end. Some might see that as "bad news" but with him, I see it differently.  He's someone that has run well … I mean REALLY well! ….. This life was not normal! Bert didn't waste any of it! And now, after 87 years of perseverance for God's glory,...... he's almost to the finish line! It's an amazing thing to see one of God's extraordinarily faithful servants arrive at home! (“Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints!”).  This long and full life has been all about victory! Soon he will hear those great words: “Well done good and faithful servant!”

The crowd went wild in Denver when Tim Tebow threw that overtime TD to beat the Steelers two weeks ago..... but with Bert we're talking about a whole other level. We're not talking about a game.... This is the real life and the real death of one of God's hero's! What will the crowd in heaven do when Bert Elliot bursts through those “the gates of splendor”?

I was able to have the great honor of spending a few nights with Bert this week. He was awake and restless for most of the time both of the nights that I was there. When he talked he strained hard to get out his whispered requests. He repeatedly wanted to stand up and then to sit back down. Several times he asked to have one of his legs moved, and then to have it put back. Often he begged us to take his clothes off and then to put them back on again. It was difficult to see him struggling with the pain and confusion but at the same time it was amazing to see him look to Christ in the midst of this trail. A few times he started to cry saying: “it hurts”. Then he'd whisper: “but God is so good”.  

I prayed and read from the scriptures for long periods of time and every once in a while Bert would force a whispered: “Amen brother!”  He would nod and almost smile when I reminded him about precious people and places in Oregon, in the Amazon, and in the Andes mountains. It was a really special time for me as he kept taking my hand and putting it on his head and then on his shoulder and then his head again. Praise the Lord for this man who is such an encouragement to many even in his last days.

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose” -Jim Elliot (Bert's brother)

-Micah for the Tuttle's

4 comments:

At January 22, 2012 at 1:14 AM Anonymous said...

Hi Amy & Micah! I am Bert Elliot's cousin in Portland. We attend the same church as your mother, Mary. She sent us your blog. LOVE what you had to say about Bert! Also good to hear 1st hand how he was when you stayed with him. Thank you for anything you can do for dear Bert and Colleen.

 
At January 22, 2012 at 2:01 PM a portland granny said...

Thanks for your post. The descriptions were wonderful and so moving. Isn't that so like Bert with his whispered 'praise the Lord', etc. I can hardly stand to think of his home call, but woudn't want him here suffering. I hope all of his pain can be cotrolled. (Glad Jack is there to look him over)

My sister, Anonymous above, forwarded your post to me. I'm excited to explore your blog further.

Bert has been an example to me all of my life, and the older I get, the more I appreciate him. My own son, Jonathan, fell in love with Uncle Bert when he was three years old and often pretended he was preachng "like Uncle Bert". Then along came my grandson, Elliot, and he also fell in love with Uncle Bert, often just sitting by him when we would get together. The fragrance of their lives have fallen on countless lives of all ages through out the rich ministry they have lived.

Blessings on you as you minister to this dear, dear man. If you have a chance tell him Cousin Joan sends oodles of hugs, kisses and loves.

Thanks

 
At January 23, 2012 at 2:04 PM Hammy said...

Your post brought tears (actually almost sobs) when I read it. There have been only a few occasions when I had the privilege of being in Bert & Colleen's home, but it was enough to feel the spiritual connection. Precious, precious jewels. That is what my description would be. I was overwelmed with emotion in yesterday's service and even now as I type, thinking of "Uncle Bert" and Colleen. Glorious sadness if there is such a thing, is how I feel.

So thankful that you have had the honor of serving them in their time of need.

Hugs,
m

 
At February 20, 2012 at 12:53 AM Arose said...

He baptized my husband and I before we got married and we gave our son his last name, as a middle name. Blessings to the Elliot family and especially to Colleen. With love, Dustin and Andrea Rose...Gresham, Oregon.

 

Post a Comment

ShareThis