Our Sites: amy's blog | fisher academy | the tuttle tribe's photos | Support

Evangelism with Americans

A few days ago I was able to meet a fellow American here in Tarapoto.  As he sipped his beer and laced his sentences with cuss words He explained that he's doing social work here for a few months and trying to establish programs to help the lower class people.  As we talked, I told him of the poverty and of the needs of people in the villages along the river, emphasizing that their greatest need is spiritual.  When he found that we are missionaries and that we've been in Peru for almost 12 years he just couldn't believe that anyone would stay in a country like this for so long just to do "religious work".

With a rather perplexed look on his face he asked: "Can I ask you an uncomfortable question?"  I said "Sure"  He asked: "Do you... really..... actually promote Christianity?....  I responded: "Only one life to live soon twill pass only what's done for Christ will last!".  He looked at me as if he couldn't believe his ears.  I continued:  "I'm not here to promote religion at all, but I am here to promote a real relationship with the living God through faith in His son Jesus Christ."  He was incredulous... He commented:  "I've heard of people like you but you're the first one I've ever met." ... Just then, Bria (9 years old) ran up and said:  "Daddy, Daddy I just got into a really good conversation with that lady over there about the Bible and she actually believes that the whole universe exploded into existence out of nothing and that there is no God....."  Bria and I had a good laugh about how preposterous that idea is...   My new American friend couldn't believe it....  He said:  "Even your kids talk to people about God!?!?"

Missionary quote for the week by Nate Saint: "People who do not know the Lord ask why in the world we waste our lives as missionaries. They forget that they too are expending their lives ... and when the bubble has burst, they will have nothing of eternal significance to show for the years they have wasted." 

-Micah for the Tuttle's                

2 comments:

At August 25, 2012 at 10:33 AM Amy said...

This is awesome. So proud of Bria!!

 
At August 25, 2012 at 4:29 PM Dana Wilson said...

I would be proud of Bria, too, Amy!

Sometimes it is harder to share with Americans than others!

 

Post a Comment

ShareThis